With 184,549 motorcycles registered in the state of Colorado, car owners and cyclists alike run the risk of being involved in motorcycle accidents. If you and your bike have recently been injured in an accident, taking the right steps is essential to receiving compensation. Immediately following your motorcycle accident, be sure to take these five steps to ensure the best possible outcome when working with a personal injury lawyer in Longmont.
- Call The Police: Calling 911 is one of the most important steps you can take to ensure that the scene of the accident is handled properly. Once a police officer and other emergency crews arrive at the scene, be sure to cooperate and communicate your side of the story. This evidence will later be useful when proving negligent behavior.
- Address Any Injuries: The next step is to seek medical attention for either a minor or serious injury. Also be sure to obtain any medical records from the hospital to present to your personal injury lawyer and possibly in court.
- Document Evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, the condition of your bike, and any injuries you may have. Do this as soon as possible before these pieces of evidence are altered in any way. Otherwise your testimony may not match the evidence exactly.
- Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer: Hiring legal representation is a must. They have received an education in this type of law and will do what they can to get you the compensation you deserve. By choosing the right representation and following all of their advice, you can increase your chances of winning your case.
- Call Your Insurance Company: Once you hire legal representation, you will need to work with your insurance company to handle the financial side of your damages. Just be sure that you run any claims through your lawyer first to make sure that you are treated fairly.
Remember that working closely with your attorney and communicating effectively is one of the best ways to help your case. While a motorcycle accident can have difficult results, you can attempt to receive compensation by making the right moves.
Looking for a personal injury lawyer in Longmont? Edward Smith is here to help you through your case. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.