Contact Us Right Now For a Free, Immediate Consultation
Longmont Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle Accident Claims in Colorado
Walking or riding a bike as a mode of transportation is a healthy and environmentally conscious decision that more people are making lately. However, bike lanes don’t always exist, and people driving cars are not always anticipating seeing a cyclist on the road, making riding a bike a potentially dangerous decision as well.
Unfortunately, bicycle accidents involving motorists are all too common. These types of incidents are usually caused by reckless behavior from the driver: he or she is either texting, driving over the speed limit, failing to yield, disobeying traffic signs, or intoxicated. If a driver was negligent and you or a loved one is injured as a result, you have the right to receive compensation. At The Law Offices of Edward Smith, our Colorado bicycle accident lawyer can help you stand up for your right to collect funds to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Car accidents involving cyclists often end worse than those involving just motorized vehicles. If you’re in a car and are struck by another car, you have all sorts of built-in safety features like airbags, seatbelts, and even crumple zones to defer most of the crash impact away from where passengers are.
However, if you are hit while on a bike or using a crosswalk, you have no real protection besides maybe a helmet.
Injuries sustained can be devastating, and often involve:
Facial lacerations and contusions
Spinal cord damage
Negligence in Colorado Bicycle Accidents
Simply being hit by a car while on your bike does not guarantee that you can make a personal injury claim. You will need to prove that the driver was in fact negligent and that you were at little or no fault to receive compensation.
If the driver had been drinking or was simply not paying attention while you were obeying traffic signals, you will most likely be able to make a claim. However, if you were cycling the wrong way down a one-way street when you were hit, the evidence will be less in your favor.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
There are certain crucial steps you can take following a bicycle accident to help your personal injury claim. By collecting as much evidence as possible and being careful not to admit fault (even if you know or suspect your actions may have been negligent), you are protecting yourself from the at-fault driver’s insurance company’s attempts to undermine you and your claim.
The most important things to do after your accident include:
- Seek medical attention: Even if you feel fine, you should always see a doctor after an accident. Having medical records on file can back up your personal injury claim. Also, a doctor’s examination may uncover an injury you didn’t realize you had.
- Take pictures of the accident scene: Capture as many photos as you can, especially ones showing any property damage or injuries.
- Collect information from other involved parties: Get the contact and insurance information of the driver who hit you. Ask for the contact information of any witnesses as well.
- Call the police immediately: This will allow a third-party to investigate how the accident occurred. The report can be used to back up your claim as well.
- Don’t talk to the other driver’s insurance company: They may try to get you to admit fault or accept a settlement that doesn’t fully cover your damages.
- Call a personal injury lawyer: A lawyer can help you build your claim and advise you on the next steps.
How The Law Offices of Edward Smith Can Help
If you are hit while crossing the street or cycling in a bike lane, the effects can take a huge toll on you and your family while you recover. With a serious injury, medical bills may pile up and you might even have to take extended time off work without pay during this time period. It can be a grueling and stressful time for you and your loved ones.
With 30 years of experience practicing personal injury law, dedicated Colorado bicycle accident lawyer Edward Smith can help you through this tough time and fight on your behalf to get the money from the insurance companies that you deserve.
Contact Us for a Free Immediate Consultation to learn more about your potential case.